Our sweet Major has been diagnosed with diabetes. A few weeks ago, he started peeing in the house. We assumed he was acting out in response to me being at home with a baby on the way. When we noticed his water intake was also up, we talked to a sweet veterinarian friend in Arlington. She instantly told us to get it checked out. Glad we did.
I took Major in to the vet last Wednesday morning & they asked to keep him for a few hours to do blood work & urinalysis. They called that afternoon that I could pick him up. The vet told me that he had glucose in his urine and that he was giving the diagnosis of diabetes. He said the blood work would be back the following day to confirm the diagnosis and make sure nothing else was wrong.
The next day, I took him in first thing in the morning for a glucose panel test, where they checked his glucose levels hourly to determine when and how much insulin to give. Poor pup even had to stay overnight for the test. The vet called that evening around 9 pm to tell me Major was doing great, had tolerated two doses of insulin well, and that I could pick him up in the morning.
The next morning, the vet clinic armed me with all the supplies for taking care of a diabetic dog. We have insulin, special needles, special dry food, special wet food, karo syrup on hand in case of hypoglyemic shock, and a ton of instructions.
Major has done really well adapting to our new normal....he has to eat at 8 am & 8 pm and then I give him his insulin shot 15 minutes after eating. He has been awesome with the shots. Charlotte is thankfully being very careful about leaving food around, as he can't have any people food. I also purged the house of all of his old dog food and treats.
We go back to the vet later this week to check to see if the insulin is regulating the diabetes. I am hopeful that he is on the mend! Charlotte has been extremely sweet to him and includes him in her prayer time. She has also diagnosed her stuffed dog Pepper with diabetes and gives him shots with a Snow White figurine.
We have a circus going on at our house & kiddo #2 doesn't arrive until May!
No comments:
Post a Comment