Charlotte's first Easter was her very first day of life & what a beautiful, special day it was! My water broke at 9 p.m. on Saturday, April 11, 2009. Wilson and I had just returned home from a trip to Pet's Mart to get Major's dog food. We were settling in to watch Law & Order, but our evening definitely changed when my water broke.
We arrived at Harris Southwest Hospital around 10 pm. The staff was wonderful & escorted us to a nice big room with a balcony. Through the balcony we witnessed an intense storm surge through Fort Worth. The nurses said that barometric pressure changes can cause the water to break. I wasn't having any contractions, so my OB told the nurses to give me until 1 am to see if labor started. It didn't, so I was given a pitocin drip at that time. I knew I needed to deliver within 24 hours of my water breaking, so I knew I would have an Easter baby!
Labor progressed very, very slowly. Dr. Carrington was the on call doctor & he started checking on me every few hours starting on Sunday morning. My epidural was inserted Sunday morning...yay! My parents arrived from New Mexico after lunch, likely fully expecting to meet their granddaughter, but Charlotte wasn't quite ready. At 3 pm, Dr. Carrington came in and said it was 50/50 if I would need a C-section. He gave me until 5 pm and said he would deliver by C-section if I hadn't progressed to 10 cm.
5 pm rolled around & Dr. Carrington said it was time to start pushing!!! The room suddently filled with nurses and equipment came down from the ceiling -- exciting yet scary! During the long wait to meet our baby girl, the Masters golf tournament was on. In between pushes, Wilson, Dr. Carrington, the anesthesiologist, and all the nurses watched the golf tournament while I rested (passed out). It apparenly went into a playoff. Charlotte made her grand appearance during the second (and final) playoff hole of the 2009 Masters Golf Tournament, at 6:16 p.m. Wilson snapped pictures, put on Charlotte's first diaper, and looked up at the TV -- the credits were rolling on the tournament. He asked the doctor, "Who won?" Dr. Carrington said, "Son, it's a damn good thing you don't know the answer to that question."
So Angel Cabrera won the 2009 Masters & we welcomed Charlotte Stewart Woods into the world. 8 pounds, 3 ounces, 19.75 inches, Apgars 9/9. Life changed in an instant and the last year has been full of blessings, challenges, and a precious, vivacious little girl named Charlotte.


such a neat story. so glad we are able to watch charlotte grow, and she and wyatt will be super friends.
ReplyDeleteloved this. so glad that you got it all down. i remember texting wilson like ever hour to ask about miss charlotte's arrival. so excited to be able to do all of this with you and em.
ReplyDelete